What is IQOS?
Discover the science
All you need to know
What is IQOS?
Discover the science
I'm Interested in IQOS
Real tobacco experience
2 consecutive uses
New IQOS ORIGINALS ONE
Discover IQOS ORIGINALS
Our portfolio of accessories
IQOS device customization
New IQOS ORIGINALS
HEATCONTROL™ technology. New colors.
Care you can count on
Care and benefits
I'm Interested in IQOS
Good Conversion Practices for PMI’s Smoke-free Products
PMI offers a variety of quality, scientifically substantiated smoke-free products that are much better choices than continued smoking. Our vision is that our smoke-free products will one day replace cigarettes.
1. Cigarette smoking causes serious diseases and is addictive. Without question, the best decision any smoker can make is to quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
2. Minors should not use tobacco or nicotine in any form.
3. PMI’s smoke-free products are for adults who would otherwise continue to smoke or use other nicotine products.
4. We do not offer PMI’s smoke-free products to people who have never used tobacco or nicotine products or who have quit using tobacco and nicotine products. Our smoke-free products are not alternatives to quitting and are not designed as cessation aids.
5. PMI’s smoke-free products are not risk free and contain nicotine, which is addictive. Switching to a smoke-free product is, however, a better choice than continuing to smoke.
6. We support our adult smoke-free product users in their journey to full conversion through education and guidance.
7. For consumers to experience the benefits of smoke-free products, they must switch completely and abandon smoking permanently.
8. We inform consumers of all relevant safety information about our smoke-free products.
Safety Warnings & Instructions
Tobacco and Nicotine
• Tobacco sticks used with IQOS contain nicotine, which is addictive.
• IQOS is not risk-free. The best way to reduce tobacco- and nicotine-related health risks is to quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
• Some users of nicotine-containing products may experience abdominal pain, chest pain, choking sensation, cough, difficulty breathing, dizziness, dry mouth, dry throat, gingivitis, headache, malaise, nasal stuffiness, nausea, mouth irritation, palpitations, throat irritation, and vomiting.
• Nicotine-containing products should not be used by people who have or are at risk of heart disease, are diabetic, are epileptic, or are experiencing seizures.
• Nicotine-containing products should not be used during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. If you are pregnant, breast-feeding, or think you may be pregnant, you should quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
• Stopping smoking or switching to IQOS and tobacco sticks or other nicotine-containing products may require the adjustment of the dosing of certain medicines (e.g. theophylline, clozapine, ropinirole).
• If you have questions about whether you should use IQOS and tobacco sticks for heating given an existing health condition, consult a health care professional.
Use of Tobacco Sticks
• Only use IQOS ORIGINALS or earlier generation devices with tobacco sticks for heating. Never use IQOS with a cigarette or similar product. Doing so may result in injury.
• Do not modify tobacco sticks for heating in any way or add any substance to them. Doing so may result in injury.
Prior to use of a product, users should read the full Safety Warnings and Instructions, which contain important safety information about the use of the product.
Safety Warnings and Instructions for IQOS 2.4 PLUS
Safety Warnings and Instructions for IQOS 3 MULTI
Safety Warnings and Instructions for IQOS 3 DUO
Safety Warnings and Instructions for IQOS ORIGINALS DUO
Safety Warnings and Instructions for IQOS ORIGINALS ONE
IQOS devices, including holders, contain a lithium-ion battery. The lithium-ion battery in the devices is a consumable component that degrades with usage and age. This is a natural process common to all rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. As the battery ages, the active ingredients inside the battery become less capable of retaining energy, resulting in a permanent decrease in maximum battery capacity and usable energy. In addition, the active ingredients become less effective in delivering energy, resulting in a decrease of the battery’s ability to provide sufficient power for electronic device components to operate. As a result, where relevant, the duration of experience may appear to be shorter, the number of puffs or experiences with one full charge may appear to be fewer, the second consecutive use might be shorter or missing, or some device features may not perform.
The battery is a chemical system that requires certain temperature ranges during charge and discharge to work optimally and minimize battery capacity degradation over its lifetime. Although your device has a specific operating range within which the device will function, operating at the extreme ends of this range will degrade your battery faster. Your device comes with customized software to control the charging parameters in order to maximize the life of your device. These algorithms can support the longevity of your battery life, but they can still never fully mitigate the normal aging mechanisms of lithium batteries. High and low temperature operation of your device will accelerate the natural degradation of your battery. Even if you do not use your device the batteries contain chemical systems which can still degrade over time. In order to slow the battery degradation process, we recommend charging your device within the recommended temperature zone, not keeping it discharged for long periods of time and using the charging cables and power adaptors that come together with the device as per the user guides.
Please read more on important information in FAQ here.
You will find consumer communication around the website and in other touchpoints that come from the following sources for IQOS products:
IQOS leaves significantly less stains on your teeth* than cigarettes. Important information: If teeth are already stained, switching to IQOS will not reverse the colour of those stains.
* Source: non-clinical laboratory study conducted in Switzerland with IQOS aerosol on human teeth and the most widely used dental composites. Contrary to real world conditions, teeth were not exposed to other staining substances which may influence the results.
IQOS emits on average 95% lower levels of harmful chemicals compared to cigarettes.*
* Reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to the smoke of a reference cigarette.
Switching completely to IQOS is less harmful than continuing to smoke.*
* Source: Based on the totality of evidence available for IQOS in comparison with continuing to smoke.
Switching completely to IQOS is less harmful than continuing to smoke. IQOS emits on average 95% lower levels of harmful chemicals compared to cigarettes.*
* Average reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to the smoke of a reference cigarette. It does not necessarily equal a 95% reduction in risk.
CIGARETTES PRODUCE TAR - IQOS DOESN’T
Tar is the residue from smoke after a cigarette is burned. IQOS does not produce tar because it heats tobacco instead of burning it. It generates an aerosol residue that is fundamentally different from tar and consists of significantly lower levels of harmful chemicals.* Switching completely to IQOS is less harmful than continuing to smoke.**
* Average reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to cigarette smoke.
** Source: Based on the totality of evidence available for IQOS in comparison with continuing to smoke.
CIGARETTES PRODUCE HIGH AMOUNTS OF CARBON MONOXIDE - IQOS DOESN’T.
Cigarettes burn tobacco, which produces high amounts of carbon monoxide. IQOS doesn’t burn tobacco, producing on average 98% less carbon monoxide (CO) and significantly lower levels of other harmful chemicals compared to cigarettes.*
* Source: We measured the levels of certain harmful chemicals prioritized for reporting by renowned public health organizations, and these are reduced on average by 95% compared to the smoke of a cigarette (nicotine excluded).
Over 13.2 million adult smokers have stopped burning tobacco and started heating it with IQOS.*
* Source: PMI Financials or estimates (excluding Russia and Ukraine), IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research. Status as of October 2022. IQOS users who have completely quit cigarettes and for whom PMI HeatSticks represent at least 70% of their past 7-day heated tobacco consumption.
Thousands of adult smokers around the world convert to IQOS every day.*
* Source: Status as of June 2022. Exclusive Heat-Not-Burn users that are using PMI HeatSticks for at least 70% of their past-7 days heated tobacco consumption. PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research.